The landscape for volunteer roles and responsibilities has changed to incorporate varying levels of professionalism and accountability within the structure of non-profit sport organizations.
What Do Sports Volunteers Do
Volunteers carry out virtually every key function in sport including coaching, team management and officiating, governance, sports event bid and sport event hosting activities.
Key Areas for Volunteer Management
- Job descriptions
- Succession Planning
- Addressing turnover in key positions
- Identifying and targeting potential volunteers for the organization
- Establishing goals
- Scheduling the activities of each individual
Dec 2010 Thesis “Managing Volunteers in Canadian Community Sport Organizations” (PDF)
Joel M. Mrak, Brock University
Culture and Community Spirit, Board Development Program
Robert’s Rules of Order
The Official Robert's Rule of Order Website
Board Meetings – Meetings That Work (PDF)
Connecting the nonprofit/voluntary sector
Website connecting Canada’s Volunteering Community
A Guide To Volunteer Program Management Resources (PDF)
Sport Information Resource Centre (SIRC) - Sport Governance
The World’s Leading Sport Resource Centre
- Knowledge of task roles and orientations
- Understanding volunteer motivations
- Purposeful recruitment campaign
3. Screening & Selection
- Verifying experiences
- Background checks
Volunteer Screening Handbook (PDF)
10 Steps to Screening your Volunteers - Volunteer Alberta
Ten-step process designed to identify any person – whether paid or unpaid, volunteer or staff – who might harm children, youth or other vulnerable persons.
Volunteer Police Information Check Program
Volunteer Alberta Connecting the nonprofit/voluntary sector
- Initial introduction sessions for new and existing volunteers
- How their role fits within the organizational goals of event (if applicable)
- Providing resources
- Assisting with access to training and development programs
- Reimbursement of training costs and expenses, role support and workload management
6. Performance management
- Building upon training programs
- monitor performance and provide feedback
- Facilitation of problem resolution
- Essential for recruitment, motivation and retention
We are a member agency of Volunteer Lethbridge, a non-profit organization that builds connections and empowers individuals and organizations to enhance volunteerism and grow their volunteer capacity.
Volunteer Lethbridge is dedicated to providing training and educational opportunities for people who work with volunteers.
If your organization is in need of volunteers for special events, coaches, or other volunteer needs that your club may have, they can help!
Contact Volunteer Lethbridge