SPAR Matters Campaign
Hello sport, physical activity and recreation (SPAR) friends, partners, and champions,
For the first time ever, the sport, physical activity and recreation (SPAR) sector has come together to provide a common voice for the provincial election advocacy. A group of SPAR leaders have been working hard behind the scenes over the past year to develop the SPAR Matters campaign which includes the Election Playbook - Keep Alberta Moving!
We need to leverage the power of our collective networks and voices to spread the word on why SPAR Matters. We have developed a number of social media ready resources you can use to spread the word (attached).
The changes we seek include:
- The SPAR sector is asking for new investments totaling $100 Million per year that will go to:
- Capacity building at the provincial level to ensure quality, safe, and affordable SPAR opportunities are available to as many children and youth as possible ($25M/year)
- Innovation funds at the provincial and grassroots level to assist with volunteer, coach, and official attraction, retention, and training; supporting more part-time and seasonal paid staff in the SPAR sector; increasing the number of no-cost/low-cost SPAR programming available in the province; and connecting to much needed research and data to support the health of all Albertans ($25M/year)
- Dedicated infrastructure funding specifically for SPAR infrastructure to assist with much needed retrofits, upgrades, and new facilities ($50M/year)
- The SPAR sector is asking for a Ministry of Wellness that will:
- Have a dedicated focus on the health and quality of life of all Albertans using prevention-based programming and supports
- Work across multiple Ministries within government to set, achieve and be responsible for outcomes and priorities for healthier Albertans
We know that as a sector we have a lot of work to do, but we are committed to making the changes needed to become more inclusive, more accessible, and more innovative. We believe that NOW is the point of maximum opportunity, where the Government of Alberta should seize upon the chance to unlock the potential of SPAR to help achieve our Province’s Priorities.
You can download the Sport, Physical Activity and Recreation Election Playbook to learn more HERE.
We encourage you to share the SPAR Matters campaign messages with your own networks or on your organization and personal social channels. We also welcome any feedback or questions you may have. Click here to visit the SPAR Matters website and sign up to receive new updates throughout the campaign.
Let's keep Alberta moving!
The Board of Directors
Alberta Sport Leadership Association
Percy Page Centre, 11759 Groat Rd NW
Edmonton, AB T5M 3K6
Posted May 15, 2023