For Immediate Release – Thursday February 14, 2019
On Friday, February 15th the 2019 Canada Winter Games will kick off in Red Deer with the Opening Ceremonies. Competition in 21 sports gets underway on February 16th and continues until March 2nd. The Games will welcome up to 3,600 athletes, managers and coaches to Red Deer. Team Alberta is comprised of 247 athletes, representing 47 Alberta communities, competing in 19 sports. They will be supported by 73 coaches, managers and support staff, along with 19 Mission Staff.
The Lethbridge region will be represented at the Games by 10 athletes, 7 officials and coaches and many volunteers. We will be cheering loudly for team Alberta with an extra loud cheer for our local athletes.
- Evelyn Beaton - Judo
- Hayleigh Craig – Hockey
- Joel Demaere - Judo
- Joshua Peck - Boxing
- Kaleb Muller - Long Track Speed Skating
- Kiera Westlake - Judo
- Kyle Oliver - Boxing
- Nathan Demaere - Judo
- Taylor Althouse - Judo
- Zack Stringer – Hockey
Those wishing to cheer and watch from home can catch the action on TSN/RDS and via the live steam at canadagames.live
About the Canada Games
- Held once every two years, alternating between winter and summer, the
- Canada Games represent the highest level of national competition for upand-
- coming Canadian athletes.
- The Games have been hosted in every province at least once since their
- inception in Quebec City during Canada’s Centennial in 1967.
- The 2017 Canada Summer Games in Winnipeg were the 50th anniversary of
- the Canada Games.
- This is the third time the Canada Games have been hosted in Alberta.
- Previously, Alberta hosted the Canada Games in 1975 (Lethbridge) and 1995
- (Grande Prairie).
For further information please contact:
Communication Coordinator, Lethbridge Sport Council