For Immediate Release – Wednesday, July 19, 2023
Lethbridge, Alberta: The Alberta Summer Games will be held from July 20-23, 2023 in Okotoks and Black Diamond. It will host competitions in 14 sports with youth participants being determined by each Provincial Sport Organization through Zone playoffs or selection camps.
The 2023 Alberta Summer Games will bring together nearly 3,800 athletes, coaches and managers from across the province. These multisport games are typically held every 2 years, with the last event held in Grande Prairie in 2018. The 2020 Games were scheduled to be held in Lethbridge, initially being postponed to 2021, then ultimately cancelled due to the pandemic.
There over 100 athletes and coaches representing Zone 1 at the 2023 Alberta Summer Games who come from Lethbridge and the nearby communities of Coalhurst and Coaldale. A list of local participants is included in this release.
Susan Eymann, Lethbridge Sport Council executive director said, "The disappointment of the cancellation of the 2020 Games is now surpassed by our pride. We are honoured to celebrate the achievements of over 100 athletes and coaches competing in 12 sports, who are striving to reach their goals and make memories. We are cheering for you every step of the way. "
About the Alberta Games:
- The first Alberta Summer Games were held in 1974 in Calgary
- The first Alberta Winter Games were held in 1976 in Banff
- The first Alberta Senior Games were held in 1980 in Camrose
- In 2000 the winter and summer games began to be held in the same calendar year to align with the Canada Games cycle
- The first Alberta 55 Plus Winter Games were held in 2009 (formerly Alberta Senior Games)
- The first Alberta Masters Games are held in 2019
- 43 communities have hosted the Alberta Games
- Lethbridge has hosted the games multiple times, including: 1981 (Summer), 1990 (Masters - cancelled), 1996 (Winter), 2001 (Seniors), 2009 (inaugural 55+ Winter), 2012 (Summer), 2015 (55+ Winter), 2020/2021 (Summer - postponed then cancelled)
For further information, please contact:
Communication Manager, Lethbridge Sport Council