Lethbridge Regional Events for the 2022 Southern Alberta Summer Games
Lethbridge, Alberta: The Lethbridge Sport Council is coordinating and promoting the 2022 Regional Events in July on behalf of the City of Lethbridge and in partnership with local sport organizations. In response to the ongoing pandemic, the Southern Alberta Recreation Association made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s Games in their usual format, and proceed with a modified version, which includes regions from across southern Alberta hosting events. Southern Albertans are welcome to register for events in any municipality or city that is hosting an event that appeals to them.
Lethbridge will host 6 events for the 2022 Southern Alberta Summer Games, including:
- Indigenous Games - July 13, 6-8 pm at the Baroness Picnic Shelter area, Indian Battle Park - Experience traditional Indigenous games led by Mary Ellen Little Mustache. All ages and all genders will compete against each other for this family-fun event.
- Horseshoes - July 14, 6-8 pm at Henderson Lake Horseshoe Pits – This classic game is great for all ages. Compete in a round-robin style tournament with youth and adult categories in single, doubles, and a parent/child category.
- Badminton - July 15, 5-8 pm at the 1st Choice Savings Centre for Sport and Wellness at the University of Lethbridge - Come enjoy a fun event of doubles badminton! Register with your own partner or get paired with a new friend at the event. There are adult and youth categories in this round-robin tournament.
- Golf - July 16, 6-8 pm at Bridge Valley Golf Course. Come enjoy a fun, scramble golf tournament! Register with your own partner or be paired with one at the event! This event will run as a 9-hole doubles scramble tournament.
- Climbing - July 17, 9-11 am at Coulee Climbing - Come enjoy a fun scramble climbing tournament with categories for beginner and advanced climbers. This event will be a scramble-style tournament.
- Sport Photography – Submission deadline is July 18th – There are 7 categories, including Team sport – Action, Individual sport – Action, Victory/defeat, Unstructured sport, Active recreation or play, Digital manipulation, Sport photos from past Southern Alberta Summer Games. Photos will be judged and publicly displayed.
Susan Eymann, Lethbridge Sport Council executive director said, “We are excited to be able to offer a mix of traditional and non-traditional events in Lethbridge this summer. We encourage individuals, families, and friends to register to participate in these fun events, no matter your skill or experience level.”
Medals will be awarded in all events, and participants who register for events in Lethbridge on or before July 1 will receive a ‘Team Lethbridge’ Games t-shirt. Participants from across Southern Alberta are invited to register for the events being held in Lethbridge.
Information regarding the Southern Alberta Summer Games Regional events is on our website, www.lethbridgesportcouncil.ca
In addition to the Lethbridge-hosted events, city residents have the option to register for events being held in other communities, including pickleball, beach volleyball, 3-on-3 basketball, triathlon, disc golf, baseball, cribbage, swimming, track, and more. All events are happening in July, however, each municipality has set their own registration dates, so anyone interested in registering is encouraged to visit www.southernalbertasummergames.ca to see details about those events and their deadlines.
The media is invited to attend the SASG Regional events. If media wants to schedule an interview, contact Lethbridge Sport Council intern, Parker Allen via email ([email protected]) or phone (780-614-4641)
Communication Manager, Lethbridge Sport Council
Executive Director, Lethbridge Sport Council